October is here and that means it’s pumpkin pie season. Pumpkin spice everything is everywhere. You may not be a fan, but someone you love is – even if they won’t confess to it out loud.
If you struggle with an autoimmune condition such as Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis like I do, all these sugar filled treats are not only tempting, but potentially triggering. With colds and the flu on the prowl, changes in barometric pressure, and colder weather creeping in, my joints are already showing just how ready they are to act up.
What am I to do? Miss out and feel down? Indulge and feel down? There’s gotta be a better way!
Lucky I enjoy getting crafty in the kitchen. I share with you my guilt-free pumpkin pie indulgence:
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- Roast your pumpkin – preheat the oven to 350F. Cut your pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds. Place cut-side down on a baking tray with 1/4 inch of water in the bottom. Roast for 90 minutes.
- Once your pumpkin is cool, peel off the skin and blend the flesh in a food processor until smooth.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and well mixed.
- Pour into a container with a lid. Cover and chill for 2-4 hours.